Dry mouth is an uncomfortable problem any time, but especially in summer months when we lose more moisture than usual through perspiration. In addition, it’s bad for your dental health, making you more susceptible to cavities and gum disease.
Fortunately, we can relieve your dry mouth by recommending products that spur saliva production and helping you make changes that will ease your symptoms. You can:
- Run a humidifier at night.
- Consume lots of water, by drinking it and also by eating foods with high water content such as melons and berries.
- Tell us about medications you are taking, so we can help you avoid ones that cause dry mouth. Some common culprits include antihistamines and antihypertensives.
- Chew sugarless gum or suck on sugarless candy. Treats that contain xylitol are an especially good choice because it helps stimulate saliva production.
- Stop smoking.
- Avoid caffeinated drinks like coffee and tea. They dehydrate you and aggravate dry mouth.
- Cut down on alcohol, especially before bedtime.
Keep your mouth healthy with good home oral hygiene and regular dental visits. Call Kirchner Dental today at 812-913-6093 or contact us online to schedule your next appointment in Jeffersonville, IN. We’ll help you solve your dental problems, including dry mouth!