Are you self-conscious about your smile? Maybe your teeth are stained, chipped, or have large gaps between them? Those are just a few imperfections that can be corrected with dental veneers. Dental veneers can also resolve minor bite problems.
If you’re interested in learning more about dental veneers, Dr. Michael Kirchner, at Kirchner Dental in Jeffersonville, IN, will be happy to tell you all about them. Just give us a call at 812-913-6093 to set up an appointment.
What Are Dental Veneers?
Porcelain veneers are ultra-thin ceramic layers that look like small shells that match the size, shape, and color of your teeth. Since the porcelain is hard, strong, and durable, it is highly resistant to the things that could stain or chip a natural tooth. Some of their advantages:
- They hide imperfections. Your teeth can develop imperfections over time. Coffee or tobacco could have stained them, giving your teeth a dingy, yellow look. Sometimes people have grooves or chips in the enamel of their teeth. Dr. Kirchner will carefully place your veneers so they cover all of those imperfections. You’ll have a dazzling white smile.
- They can brighten teeth that can’t be brightened with teeth whiteners.
- They keep damage from getting worse. Sometimes chips or cracks are a sign of damaged or weakened enamel. Since veneers are actually bonded to the front of your teeth, they can seal up those damaged areas and keep them from growing.
- They are customized for every patient. It’s nearly impossible to tell the difference between them and natural teeth.
- They’re stain resistant.
- They’re strong and resist chips and cracks.
The Dental Veneers Process
The process of placing veneers takes about two to three visits. Dr. Kirchner will start by creating a model of the tooth or teeth over which he’ll be placing the veneers. He may make a temporary set of veneers out of plastic.
Once you agree on the shape and shade of your veneers, he’ll send the specs off to have the permanent veneers made.
To apply the veneers, he will remove a very small amount of your original tooth enamel (usually less than a millimeter.) He’ll add resin on your natural tooth and place the veneers, using a special light to harden the composite and bond it to your tooth.
Once the veneers are bonded, he’ll polish them to look like your natural teeth. And that’s it! An instant makeover for your smile!
Are You a Good Candidate for Veneers?
Dental veneers are a great option for anyone who wants to look their best. By scheduling a consultation with us, you can find out just how easy it is to fix some of these common issues like discolored or cracked teeth.
Teeth and gums must be healthy before you get veneers. We’ll examine your mouth. If we see any issues, we’ll treat them before doing the veneers.
You may have to wear a plastic dental guard while you sleep. If you are prone to grinding your teeth in your sleep, you may need to wear one of these guards. Although veneers are durable, grinding may cause them to chip or break. If one is necessary, Dr. Kirchner will fit you with a dental guard after the veneers are placed.
What Veneer Options Do I Have To Choose From?
At our Jeffersonville, IN dental office, you have three kinds of veneers to choose from.
- E.max veneers are made from a special porcelain material that is incredibly strong and durable. They are stain-resistant and can be made for almost any tooth.
- Lumineers, called prepless veneers, are so thin no enamel has to be removed beforehand. But they’re still very durable.
- DuraThin veneers are another prepless option. They’re made from a special strong porcelain.
Veneer Follow-up And Maintenance
Maintenance of your dental veneers is simple: You will treat them just like you would your natural teeth, with routine dental exams twice a year, and regular brushing and flossing. The surface of the veneers are strong and durable, but brushing and flossing can keep problems from cropping up in the surrounding gum.
Make An Appointment
We can talk to you more about dental veneers. Just set up a consultation with us. We’ll answer any questions you have and give you the recommendations for getting a movie star smile! Call us at 812-913-6093, or you can request an appointment by using our online form.