As you and your family look forward to summer, our team at Kirchner Dental wants to remind you about our emergency dental care in Jeffersonville, IN. Should you or someone you love suffer an oral injury or dental problem, you’ll know exactly where to go for help!
We also want to give you some tips and how to handle the immediate aftermath of a dental emergency should something happen to threaten your family’s summer fun!
Plan Ahead to Ease The Stress of Dental Emergencies
Everyone has some sort of first-aid kit, basket, drawer, or cabinet in their home. When someone scrapes a knee, gets stung by a bee, or suffers a minor cut, you have all the tools you need on the ready.
The same kind of preparedness can really come in handy with dental emergencies! We recommend either buying one online or creating your own, including items like:
- Dental cement
- Gauze pads
- A dental mirror
- A wash cloth
- Non-aspirin pain reliever
- A small, sealable container
*When Summer Fun Leads To Dental Injuries*
Families are especially busy during the summer months, and much of the time is spent getting together for parties, cookouts, vacations, sporting events, and other special occasions.
In all of that celebrating, there’s always the chance that someone in your family could suffer some sort of injury that affects their teeth and gums.
Here are a few examples of the kind of dental emergencies you might face this time of year and what you can do before your emergency appointment at Kirchner Dental:
- Mouth Injuries – Imagine you’re hosting a pool party for your family and friends. While the adults are busy grilling the ribs and setting up the picnic table, the kids are running around the pool. Suddenly, one of them slips and crashes face first into the wet concrete. This could cause damage to their gums or cause them to lose a baby tooth prematurely. First, it’s important to stop any bleeding. To reduce pain and swelling, you can use non-aspirin pain relievers and a cold compress. Then call us to arrange an emergency appointment so we can take a look at the injury and take the necessary steps to protect their dental health.
- Breaking / Losing A Tooth – Picture the same family gathering, only this time everyone’s sitting around the picnic table tearing into those delicious barbecue ribs. You bite down on a bone and break or lose a tooth or dental crown. If there’s bleeding, pain, or swelling, you can follow the same steps as before. If a tooth has come out, you should seal it in a container of milk or water, or place it inside your cheek to keep it moist. Then call us right away to set up an emergency dental appointment!
- Dental Pain – While you’re enjoying some well-deserved time off, you take the kids to the zoo. You’ve had this nagging toothache for a couple of days that you’ve tried to ignore, but this afternoon, it’s gotten noticeably worse, and pain relievers just aren’t working anymore. This could be a sign of some sort of infection, tooth decay, or dental damage and should be treated like a dental emergency. Call us to set up an appointment so we can treat the underlying cause, get you out of pain, and back to enjoying the rest of your summer with a healthy mouth!
Count On Kirchner Dental!
Treating dental emergencies in Jeffersonville, IN is one of our top priorities. We always try to be as accommodating as possible for patients who are in pain or in need of dental treatment right away.
So that’s one important takeaway from today’s blog. You can count on us to guide you through the steps of unexpected dental problems.
But we hope we’ve given you some tools for handling dental emergencies in the immediate aftermath so you can keep a cool head and possibly save your smile in the process!